Monday, December 21, 2009

The first, First Birthday Party

The only thing I hate more than shopping, is last minute shopping. Well, I guess I can't say all shopping, because I do enjoy browsing for items for the house, or kitchen, in particular. Anyway, most of my Christmas shopping was done by the second week in December, but those few little things left to do were killing me. Thankfully, my parents were able to come help me out. Luke was battling the 17th cold of the year and had to miss Mother's Day Out, so I never would have made it if they hadn't. Thank you!! And since they did come babysit and help clean my house I had nothing left to do six days before Luke's Dothan birthday party than to begin creating an elaborate birthday party set-up.

First of all, let me say that Barry and Deborah Moss are the best friends ever! They let me throw the party at their house. Our house is beautiful and I love it. It just doesn't give you a very good birthday party atmosphere. Plus, they live right next to a park. I was hoping it would be warm enough to be outside during the party, (I was trimming shrubs and gardening on the day Luke was born, afterall.) but that was not the case. Even though those two love being around lots of people and are some of the most laid-back folks I know, it is stressful to have a large group of people at your house. At any rate, THANK YOU BARRY AND D! I promise I will repay you by helping to create an even more elaborate first birthday party for Canon!**

After searching every party store in town, I came up empty-handed. There was only one place to turn: the Google Webs. I found a blog called Kara's Party Ideas. She had tons of pictures of parties with various themes and somewhere in all the madness I came across the cutest little birthday banners. By little, I mean quite large and elaborate. They were obviously made with a Cricut machine, which I became an expert at during our Halloween crafting session. So, you guessed it. I went out and got myself a Cricut Expression. On Tuesday. Six days before the party. The hardest part for me, was choosing the paper for the banner. That and figuring out the sizes of all the letters and designs I was making with the Cricut. My OCD and perfectionism did not help to make that process any easier. I think I was very close to having a stroke on Saturday. Kyle was helpful and understanding, though certain that I had completely lost my mind.



This was the invitation, that Denise (also one of the best friends ever) helped to pick out and was the inspiration for the theme of the party:




Here's Barry and D's house, fabulously swiffered by Sam Dean. If he and his fiance, Alisha, had not been there that day, the party would have never happened. She kept Luke and Canon totally occupied while we set everything up.



The food was wonderfully displayed by Deborah.









I was so excited about how everything turned out.





Luke was very confused about what was going on that day. He desperately needed a nap. We tried to get him to sleep for 3 hours before the party started, but too much was happening and he wasn't in his own bed. He finally gave in, fifteen minutes before everyone was supposed to arrive! We let him sleep for the first hour of the party. It was better for everyone that way.









He was still sleepy at cake time, so I didn't quite get the response I had hoped for. I think he got a pretty good taste, though!

In the end, it was as close to perfect as it could be in my mind. Totally worth the near-stroke and ten years it took off my life.

This post is getting a little long, so I'll do another one to show you Luke's friends who came to help him celebrate.

**Barry, I know this repayment is mostly geared toward Deborah, however, please note that a first birthday party should be considered an "experience." I know the babies will not remember it, but it will at least be a couple of hours of entertainment for them. The experience is for the parents, mostly Mommy, who enjoys crafting, photos, blogging, eating, and lots of babies. There will be plenty of your friends there to hang out with. Elaborate does not necessarily mean expensive and I have promised D that she can use our house for staging so you will not even have to know what is going on, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment