Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Individual Discouragement and Personal Growth

The title of today's lesson in My Utmost is actually "Individual Discouragement and Personal Growth," so after yesterday's post I had to share. The last two days have talked about getting into "God's stride" and Oswald says that this is summed up in these words--"I AM WHO I AM...has sent me to you." (Exodus 3:14) This is from Exodus when Moses was sent to deliver the Israelites from slavery in Egypt. Moses just knew that he was going to be the one to do that, but he went about it the wrong way. He first needed to learn true fellowship and oneness with God.

Apparently, Moses was a little discouraged when he was sent to the desert to tend sheep for forty years, but by the time God came to him in that burning bush he was a little more ready to depend on God rather than his own strength. At that point he actually told God he couldn't do it, send somebody else (Exodus 3:10-11). God had to remind him that he wouldn't be doing it..."I AM" would.

This lesson also says, "We must learn that our individual effort for God shows nothing but disrespect for Him--our individuality is to be rendered radiant through a personal relationship with God so that He may be 'well-pleased'."

I take from all this that God doesn't want (or need, for that matter) me to do anything for Him. He just wants me to focus on my relationship with Him and He will do things through me.

The lesson ends by saying, "If you are going through a time of discouragement, there is a time of great personal growth ahead."

4 comments:

  1. Personal growth is coming my way then....right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we having a comment war :)? Jeremiah went on and on about how beautiful Luke is. I was, of course, agreeing but finally said, "Do you think it's odd at all that you are nesting to have a little boy?" If Luke disappears, let me know. I think I may be able to find him :)

    I love all the honest heart in your posts, Mandy. It challenges me to GROW instead sitting over here in my stagnation. We need to go get dinner and let our little chicken wings meet each other, next time we are in town...or maybe we could get babysitters and actually get to talk to each other.

    BTW, I HATE to hear about Denise! Did you know we were friends in college? I've been counting on her being there when we got back. That stinker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire your strength and dedication in not being content with life but working to make it even more meaningful. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're feelings are, but lately I have felt that though the external things in my life are awesome (great husband, son, job, house, etc.) there's an internal hole that makes me less joyful about those other things. I hope I can dedicate myself, as you have, to filling that void.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, D. That is exactly how I feel. It's not easy and I keep messing up, but I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete